West Madison Elementary School is one of the schools operated by the Madison City Board of Education. It was originally located on Pension Row in Madison, Alabama, from 1920 until 1949, when the original building was destroyed by fire. Due to state regulations, the building could not be rebuilt in the same location. In 1953, suitable property was obtained at its present site on Wall Triana Highway. A modern concrete building was erected to accommodate grades one through nine. The school had twelve classrooms, a cafetorium, and a principal's office. In 1957 the tenth grade was added, thus increasing enrollment and causing the need for additional classrooms. Nine new classrooms were built on the south wing of the building and a gymnasium was added.
In 1970, West Madison became completely integrated and served grades kindergarten through ninth grade. The school first became accredited during the 1970-71 school year while J.R. Ewing was principal. From 1970 to 1975, West Madison's student population changed from kindergarten through ninth grade to kindergarten through sixth grade, to kindergarten through fifth grade, and finally to kindergarten through fourth grade.
In 1977, Mrs. Julia Cobb succeeded Mr. Ewing as principal and served as principal until December, 1980. The school population grew as children who had attended private schools enrolled at West Madison. To alleviate this problem, at the beginning of the 1980-81 school year, fourth grade students were transferred to Madison Middle School.
Mrs. Alicia Glover became principal in January, 1981, and served as principal until March, 1988. West Madison underwent extensive renovation and expansion during the spring and summer of 1987. Renovations were necessary to adequately meet the need of a rapidly growing and changing community as well as an increasing student population.
Mr. Dee Fowler became principal in March of 1988. In 1990, to once again alleviate overcrowding, second and third grade students were transferred to Madison Middle School. At that time, West Madison became a kindergarten and first grade school.
Mrs. Mary Long succeeded Mr. Fowler in 1993. A new elementary school was built in Madison in 1995. Upon its completion, West Madison Elementary and Madison Elementary became kindergarten through fourth grade schools. As additional schools were built, each elementary school in Madison became kindergarten through sixth grade schools. During the summer of 2002, major renovations were completed at the school. These renovations included the expansion of the library media center, the gutting and total renovations of all the restrooms using automatic sensors for water and flushing, and the re-flooring of the gym. Due to a flood, during renovations to the gym bathrooms, the gym floor had to be replaced. A new roof was added to the school building at the same time.
Dr. Daphne Jah became principal during the 2003-04 school year. She is the current principal.